RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
two very different rides.

Well yesterday I experienced my first "leech" person who sat on my wheel and did not say hi or even ask if he could. What I think is funny is that I rode almost 1.3 miles before he even caught me. I saw him coming and just rode my normal pace. We climbed a hill and descended and he did not catch me. I was riding along minding my business (wife said I could ride longer since she was out) and I look back in my mirror and he is sitting on my wheel. NO hi or how you doing NOTHING. just riding along behind me like we know each other.

So I figured I would play with this guy a little. I sped up and slowed down... then slowed down some more ... then slowed a little more. I knew I was coming up to a spot with a downhill so I downshifted and took off. 14-20mph like that! He was working hard to catch back up and he did eventually because my legs were tired and I had already ridden 65+ miles this week. I take my time and weave a little back and forth. Eventually he says rider up because a rider was coming at us. They pass then he passes me and takes off...at first I was like oh no you are not so I get on his wheel. I dont think he expected that. So eventually I get tired of rushing through my ride. So I fade off of his wheel. I guess I should have said something but shouldn't he have said "hi! how are you? you mind if ride on your wheel?"

I was kinda urked that he did not say a word to me the entire time. If he had just said hi and asked I would have probably said yes. I would not have minded. I am glad that he did not hit my wheels/ fenders. I am obviously a guy riding for transportation. 2 full panniers on a fendered cyclocross bike. It was my fastest time for that section (17:40 for 5 miles).

This morning school is out. It was so dark and peaceful this morning for the ride in. I had the right combo of clothes and was so comfortable. Traffic was 1/3 of what it usually is and the people on the road were very patient and passed me intelligently. Maybe because it was so dark or maybe it is because I charged my rear blinky lights batteries last night but either way it made for a great ride.

PLUS this month I am close to 400 miles (my August record) which is the most I have ridden in a month and I bike toured that month.