Old 11-01-14, 11:36 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of flatting - techniques for rapid recovery and back on the road?

As long as we are on another run of tire recommendations, how about recommendations or techniques that get us back on the road as quickly as possible after a flat?

A couple of things I'm thinking of trying are pulling the rear wheel just enough to remove the tire and tube from the ND side instead of completely taking the wheel out of the drive train and off the bike. The other is attempting to fix the flat without even doing that much - slip the tube out of the tire, find the hole, patch it, and remount the tire.

Getting that rear wheel out of the drivetrain always seems to be a pain and greasy mess for me, and as I am very inexperienced with flats carry a spare folding tire so I don't have to search out the puncture source in the tire until I get home. Just flip in the replacement tire and tube and back on my way.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.