View Single Post
Old 11-02-14, 09:31 AM
TallTravel

Bikes: Trek (Fisher) 29er Mamba, Giant 64cm Defy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used Strava on my Android for the past 6,000 miles, but I also use it for hiking. I've used it for 9 hour hikes, so unless your phone has major battery issues, or you're using an ancient phone with old technology (Apples) , you likely should not have any issues.

In all my rides, I have had very, very, few problems. I use the free version, and if I ever lost a ride it was usually there, just had to let it upload correctly.

I use Strava for my daily commute, climbing 3,000 feet peer day within 35 miles RT. Segments are saved automatically, you do nothing except turn it on and ride, then stop Strava when you're done. Segments, unless you're riding where no one else has been, are already in Strava. If you want to add new segments the easiest way is to ride, record with Strava, then use your computer to label new segments you've ridden, while looking at the map of the ride you just rode.

Leaving the screen on is easily the quickest way to burn battery power. When I do my longer Strava recordings, I always turn off the screen while I'm riding or hiking. You can see all my rides by friending me (TallTravel) on Strava. They are available to my friends, called followers, 60 seconds after I've stopped recording. I call also post any ride to social sites like Facebook, but the infinite detail of altitude, feet climbed, comparison to yesterday's ride, segment split times is not payed that way. That detail is available only on the Strava app and/or Strava.com. My 9 hour recording (Grand Canyon hike, rim to rim) is available for all followers to see on Strava.

Last edited by TallTravel; 11-02-14 at 10:15 AM.