Old 11-02-14, 04:43 PM
ckFoxTrot

Bikes: Scwinn 754; CAAD 8 5 (61cm)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does intentional buzzing affect you much?

On Friday I was out for a mid-day ride on a ~23mi route I routinely follow. Near home, during a gap in traffic with no other vehicles nearby, a red minivan decided to speed excessively by me, laying on their horn once right behind/beside me, while swerving dangerously close, attempting to run me off the road. The driver gave me the finger out of their window once past (I gave them one too, which I feel bad about... crazy huh?), turned on their left turn signal, and made a lane change into the left lane. I was moving along around 18/19mph (with some tailwind). After a bit over a year of routine/serious riding, this is the most aggressive driver I have encountered and I'm still pretty irked about it (and I'm glad I haven't experienced the horror stories others here have).

While the vast majority of this particular route has bike lanes, this section of road (2 lanes each way) doesn't. I'm still coming to grips with how far out in the lane I should ride in these circumstances, and thus even hug the inside closer than I probably should.

This has put me in a sour mood with regard to heading out for a ride the last two days. How often do you all experience this sort of phenomenon, how do you respond, and do you get over it pretty quickly? What should I take away from this experience?

I wish I would have had my GoPro during that ride. I take it out selectively but maybe I'll start running it full time to capture the unexpected (good or bad).