Old 11-02-14, 05:55 PM
beaterbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonahhobbes
Practice using your gears. You want to be able to switch down to a lower gear which will make it easier to peddle away from trouble should you have to slow down, change direction or bunny hop a kerb. I have to cycle through a rough area of town on nights and instinctively switch one click to a lower (easier), gear if I'm close to folk that might cause trouble and I can't just buzz around them at speed. I'm also up and out my saddle and always ready for a burst of speed.

Learn escape routes, (alternative roads, paths), and where nearby safe havens are, Police and gas stations etc.

Don't engage with anyone. If you get yelled at or folk throw things at you just keep moving. Most people can't be bothered chasing after a cyclist.

Some nights there are areas that just ain't worth going through. Find an alternative route/transport.

Normally I'd advocate high vis clothing, but in a dodgy neighbourhood ninja clothes are ok. I do tend to have a strong helmet light as I've gotten out of trouble by dazzling folk who came after me.

Keep moving, look like your on a mission and did I mention keep moving?
This is great advice...