Old 11-03-14, 01:20 PM
MidwestKid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Two things to think about:

Heat-sink, are you riding with clipless pedals? The metal cleat and metal pedals will act as a heat-sink, drawing the heat out of the bottom of your foot. My wife has poor circulation; on cold days with clipless pedals, you can look at the bottom of her foot and see exactly where the cleat is on her shoe - white square. Solutions, use platforms in cold temps or get wool inserts for your shoes.

Shoe covers, I ride shoe covers for temps under 30F - Blitzen I recommend this versus doubled-up socks since this can compress the foot and make circulation worse.

Sidenote, I run extra hot, so my temp range and comfort level are atypical.
I'm using Speedplay pedals and haven't thought about them acting like a heat-sink. The ball of my feet over the pedals were fine, however. I'll try some looser socks next time.

I've always been in good health but if I am outside in the winter for very long my feet get really cold and it takes them a long time to warm back up. So while I want to think my circulation is good, there are times I kind of wonder. Cycling should be good for circulation issues. I had lab blood work done last spring and no problems were noted.