Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadLight

But there's one task I'm still trying to decide whether or not to tackle. My family has four sets of wheels that I service. Three sets have vintage 27 x 1-1/8" Ukai alloy rims. The fourth set is modern 700c Shimano Ultegra wheelset. The three vintage sets need to be trued and I've never trued a wheel, although I've studied into it a bit. The question is: "Is it worth the effort and cost to master this skill?" I'm inclined to answer "yes" because of the number of wheels under my care. But I'm not eager to spend the money for the new tools or spend the time to learn.

Kind regards, RoadLight
Just truing up wheels shouldn't be a big deal or, imo, require a tension gauge. It would however require a basic cheap truing stand so that you can turn the wheel back and forth to make sure it's running centered according to whatever your using to sight it with......usually just a bolt threaded up to beside your rim.

It does take some patience and you'll only want to make your adjustments about a quarter turn of the spoke wrench at a time.....usually along two or three spokes along one side of the run-out areas. Sometimes, if the spokes seem pretty tight, you might have to loosen on one side as you tighten the other.

I realize though that I've practiced dialing things in for decades, as a machinist, and this might be a little frustrating considering that wheels have 32 or 36 places to adjust. If so I'm guessing some LBS could probably true it or tell you if the rim is too shot from some crash. They might even have a spoke tension gauge to put on it so you won't be busting a spoke on the road.

Good luck with your Fuji.
And I love those Suntour derailleurs.

Last edited by Zinger; 11-04-14 at 03:13 AM.