View Single Post
Old 11-04-14, 08:39 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Rain doesn't damage a bike as long as you keep it clean and lubricated. Single speeds are fine for commuting esp. in a city as flat as Houston. Neither bike, though, is optimal for commuting. MTBs can make pretty decent commuters once you add slicks, fenders, etc. but a suspension fork isn't great for commuting. The Kilo probably won't take a fat tire and fender.

It's N + 1 time. Houston has a good CL. Find a vintage road bike with center pulls or long reach side pulls. Then you can fit a 700 x 28c and fenders. You can ride it geared or single speed/fixed. Plus you won't care what the paint job looks like within reason as long as you can make the bike mechanically sound.
Rain is not nearly as destructive as people think to bikes as long as you keep things clean and lubed. It does accelerate wear but not nearly as bad as road salt.

I personally would ride the Kilo and add fenders if at all possible.

For tires I really like the 700x28 Panaracer Gravel Kings, it grips well in the wet, rolls as good as a race tire and despite all the glass/thorns we have on our bike paths here I have yet to get a flat with mine. Panaracer: Professional Bike Tires from Panasonic | Road