View Single Post
Old 11-05-14, 01:20 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Basically, it's much easier to pull up on the pedals with clipless than clips, because you can pull back as well as up w/o pulling your foot off the pedal.
Got to agree with Six jours. I've been using single straps, toeclips and slotted cleats for 35 years. I've taken gears like 42x17 up some seriously steep hills. There's a local hill with two pedal revs of 20% (I,m guessing). I use it as a test for straps. Either they are up to the job of me pulling with everything I've got or I'm walking.

One minor drawback (until it happens) is that you can uncleat clipless pedals without realizing it until it happens. Tends to happen more often at high RPMs. My experience is that I have little awareness of my foot angle when RPMs exceed 200; easily done with a 42x17 (40 mph). Some of you may be OK with the thought of that happening, but it scares the you-know-what out of me. Hence I will never go clipless on a fixie for the hills. No, I pull my straps tight before I descend!

Ben