View Single Post
Old 11-05-14, 01:40 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Which angle? Heel up or heel out? If heel up, get SM51 cleats instead of SM56, you'll get fewer heel-up releases that way.
I really don't know. My riding is limited to no-float pedals. I have only used LOOK Delta compatibles with black cleats for my geared bikes because they work and I have them. (LOOKs are heel out, aren't they?) I tried SPDs for one ride fixed years ago, disconnected with one foot at 18 mph and crashed. Didn't get hurt much but it taught me that I never want to do that going fast, ever. (My injuries were more from the foot coming off and the very awkward launch than hitting the road.) If I have to fall over another 20 times because I didn't get to the straps in time, I don't care. Those 20 (all by definition at a standstill) in total would be a tiny percent of the pain and injury of a one footed fix gear crash at 40. That's a nightmare I don't need.

Ben