Old 11-07-14, 09:28 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
I don't see how you can properly aim a light so intense. It sounds nearly impossible. I also don't see how such a bright light is more useful than something that is moderately bright. I started a thread about this a few weeks ago. Basically, the American attitude is more is better, even more is even better, and even more than that is even better. But life isn't like that. There are points of diminishing returns. Adding more light is not only not useful, it is detrimental. When you learned that 60 psi in your tires was better than 20 psi, did you decide to inflate your tires to 250 psi? I'm guessing not.

It is highly inconsiderate and dangerous to shine thousands of lumens into a person's eyes. No wonder the person cursed you out. You earned it.

The argument of "Hey, it prevented me from being hit, so it's clearly a good thing" is a very poor argument. You could also punch people in their faces and argue the same thing. You have gone way past the point of diminishing returns. Your safety should not come at the cost of everyone else's comfort and convenience. As the anti-smoking activist said, your right to swing your fist stops at my nose.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.