View Single Post
Old 11-07-14, 11:57 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
True, but I felt that you left some out so I filled in the blanks.

Where you said "head injury is sustained, chances are good that you would still have sustained head injury even if you were wearing a helmet." could be construed to mean that a helmet has poor chances to mitigate an injury. It seemed worthwhile to bring up some data showing that the helmet does have good chances to mitigate specific kinds of injury.

Your statement may be true if we consider traumatic brain injuries, severe concussions. But less true if we consider the less severe injuries, and not at all true if we consider scrapes, cuts and contusions.
Again, don't disagree with you -- I was responding in kind to the post I quoted, which was very general statements and did not require the kind of detail you provided.

But thanks!

BTW, since there are some new contributors to Helmet Thread: I wear a helmet just about every time I'm riding a bike because if all they do is provide protection against "superficial" and light injuries in the exceptionally rare event I crash my bike and strike my head, that's good enough for me.

Plus, helmets are way cool. Hannibal wore one. So did Patton. F1 racers wear helmets, and they are way cool. You know who didn't wear a helmet? Jesus. Just a crown of thorns, and look where that got Him...