no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
Perhaps is the problem is the height of the light. With it mounted on your helmet you are not very far off of a straight shot into a pedestrian's eyeballs. With that much power there probably isn't much you can do about it. It seems that if you are riding a path with dog walkers a low setting should provide ample light if you are riding at a responsible speed.
If you're riding after dark at 12 - 14 mph on a path that not only curves, has hills, ninja dogwalkers, joggers, pedestrians and wildlife you're gong to need more than the low setting to see all the hazards before you get too close to them. What works for me (and may not work for the op) is to aim the helmet light up where it's a little too high. My head is lowered when I'm not having to slow down, allowing the helmet light to illuminate the bike path ahead of the bar mounted light (and yes, having more than one light is good for those days when you forget to charge the battery, it rains, or....), and when I have to slow up the light is not shining in the eyes of the people approaching me as I lift my head. I also cover the handlebar mounted light with my hand until I'm passed the other people. Aiming the helmet light a little to high also allows me to see better in the one hilly section of the bike path that curves to the side as it approaches the parking lot with the flood light shining down the bike path.

I rarely get any negative comments about my lights, and when I have I usually mention how they help me see people in dark clothes after dark.