Old 11-10-14, 11:42 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
So, I got this NOS set of subject SIS shift levers off Ebay, that exactly match the Velobase description, appearance-wise.
I figured something was odd already when I mounted them, and tested the RD lever before hooking it up; it had only 4 noticable detents. I went ahead and hooked it up, with Shimano compatible cable & housing, BTW. Rear cluster is a 6-spd Uniglide, and RD is mid-80s SIS compatible Shimano 600. I found that, whether in SIS mode or friction mode, that the maximum range I could get was 4 out of 6 cogs. As a check, I changed the RD to a SIS compatible Exage, with the same result.
So, as the next step, I changed the lever to a downtube 6-sp Exage lever I had in my spare parts bin. This lever can shift the full 6 cog range, in friction or index; however, I have not been able to adjust it to index well over the whole range.
The question, and the point of this thread is, what is up with the SL-BS50 lever that I have? Next question is, how difficult would it be to take the guts out of the Exage shift lever, and put them in the bar-con, and would that be the entire solution, or the pull radius of the bar-con shifter going to hang me up? Based on my research prior to purchasing, the SL-BS50 is supposed to pull 6 or 7 speeds, so I'm very puzzled as to why the lever I have cannot pull even 5.

This is symptomatic of the indexing disk being in the wrong position. Take a look at the part called "lever boss cover" for any of the Shimano bar-end shifters on this page: SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual . (Any of the SL-BSxx shifters will do.) Note that the fat tab points down when in the correct position. However, the lever will allow it to be assembled with the tab pointing in four different directions! Take the lever apart, orient the disk correctly, reassemble, and it should work fine.

(Dammit, the Shimano website no longer allows direct links to their PDFs.)

Note: the center screw on the shift lever should be very tight or the shifter will tend to creep to a point halfway between "SIS" and "friction". This can damage the shifter.

Here's what I'm talking about, from a non-Shimano image:

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..