Old 11-11-14, 03:15 PM
DBrim

Bikes: 2013 Trek 7.2FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrim
Still didn't find the issue, but the new tube is in and holding so... I don't know. Maybe it fell through. Maybe it was a pinch flat. Maybe I'll get another flat on the way into work tomorrow. If it holds for another few weeks I'll have all winter to find anything embedded in those tires after I switch to the studs.
My relatively-new-to-cycling flat tire odyssey did indeed continue today. I commuted in just fine, but noticed that my rear tire was flat yet again early this afternoon. Luckily being indoors and not in a hurry as opposed to on the side of the road led to a more thorough investigation, and I was able to find an offending bit of glass wedged deep into the tread. I did not feel it on the inside, but there was indeed a small tear on the inside wall of the tire, so it must have jostled in when I hit some bumps. That would also explain how the tire was able to hold pressure overnight.

My second tier spare is labeled as "thorn resistant." I bought that online without noticing. Man is it heavy. We'll see how it rides, it might be worth swapping out again after I patch the last two days worth of tubes. Still, I might stick with the heavier tubes when I switch to the studded tires in a few weeks, because getting a flat in the winter sounds... bad.

Learning!