Old 11-12-14, 10:27 AM
justinzane

Bikes: Fuji Aloha, ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acquaspin
Unless question was misunderstood (lowest gear actually USED, not lowest gear available); If 28F/28R is actually the lowest gear you use on your rides, even a 34F 32R would not cover that range. Say you actually use 28F/25R to get over the hardest climb. 28F/25R is almost the same as 34F/30R or 36F/ 32R. Stock road cassettes do not go over 32 (and you'll need a long cage rear derrailleur for 32). So for good measure i'd go with 34F/32R (34F/30R would cover your current lowest gear need, having the 32R would be there for saving the bad days, longer rides, longer climbs, hill repeats, etc).
I get that. I'm planning on eventually getting a 2nd frame, so one will have a more "mountain" drivetrain with a long cage and a 1X-34 rear, small triple front and fatter (28mm, 32mm) tires. Whether it ends up being a cross like or touring like bike, I'm not sure. Right now, I've gone from absolutely needing the 28:28 to climb up my steepest hills back in May to being able to do most of them at 38:28 (34:25ish) or similar. Even without a 2nd bike, I'm handy enough to change out the derailleurs, cassette and chainrings in a few hours if I am planning a trip to somewhere with significantly different terrain. I'm just thinking about my everday, local rides in this post.

Also, as we are heading into the wet and snow, I'll be spending some of my riding time at the gym instead, doing squats, deadlifts, etc. to build strength. [As an aside, about 10 years ago I partially ripped up the meniscus in my right knee. When I started riding this spring, I used excessively low gears to minimize the stress on that joint. I've been pleasantly surprised to find that my knee is now effectively as strong as it has ever been just from riding without ever really mashing the cranks.]