View Single Post
Old 11-12-14, 11:55 AM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
What I am referring to is hand force - and I'm not going to play the "mechanics thread semantics game" because everyone knows what I mean by that. Small increments of hand force at the brake lever create larger increments of braking change with a hydraulic disk than with a caliper brake. That does not result in better modulation. It results in worse modulation. And yes, I know that you can "get used to it" at least to some degree, but that still does not equate to better modulation.

Again, there are many reasons for disk brakes in certain situations. But there are also many reasons against disk brakes in certain situations, and again, the overarching claim that disk brakes are "better" for everyone is obviously untrue.
This doesn't make sense.

Along with your post on page 4, you confuse modulation with poor braking performance.
What you are saying is that because rim braking performance is poor, and requires more force at the lever, it increases modulation.
This is why you feel the old Campy rim brakes have more modulation than new Dura Ace rim brakes (from your post on page 4).

This is a misunderstanding of the physics of what is going on, as well as misunderstanding of what modulation is.

Also, the human equation is not a fixed number ( like 10lbs, in your example). Riders can and do vary the amount of pressure applied to brake levers.

The fact you can apply more braking power with less effort is a good thing, not bad.
That alone, has nothing to do with modulation.
With less effort, there is less fatigue.

Inherent to the design, discs have a far greater range of modulation for the reasons I stated before.
Discs have less inefficient variables, which makes for more predictable and consistent braking.