Old 11-12-14, 06:38 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by dynaryder
Hydros require much less regular maintenance. You don't have to make adjustments for pad wear and cable stretch. You don't have to clean/lube the cables. For street riding,good hydros only need to be bled every few years,so you're basically just swapping pads. As for bleeding,I don't consider a bleed kit a big deal. I big needle with a hose and catch container,that you're only going to use every couple of years.
"You don't have to make adjustments for pad wear and cable stretch."
I don't know what caliper system you were using but cable stretch is taken out on the install by any competent mechanic and a turn on an adjusting barrel once a year or so when doing routine cleaning has sufficed for me for decades on the road. In fact I still have the OEM brake pads on my '92 Vitus and the cables were changed every 10 years in race and club riding conditions whether they needed it or not.

Get a stop watch and change/lube cables pads vs. the same operation on discs w/ a fluid change bleed at the same service interval.
No special equipment required w/ calipers and anyone can do it and be riding while air is still bubbling out of the system elsewhere.

I'm not buying it.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 11-12-14 at 06:54 PM. Reason: bubbling