View Single Post
Old 11-13-14, 08:57 AM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
you really have to look at what is actually out there now.
I think it's really clean and elegant, and it's only going to get better.

Rim wear may not be a concern for the recreational rider but I think it's a valid argument in carbon wheels to keep the braking surface seperate from the rim. It carries key advantages in this regard.

Wear may not be a factor in alloy rims, but discs do allow for lighter weight rims, which keeps the rotating mass centralized. Something racing wheels have been focused on.

In other performance and safety respects, disc just works better than rim brakes.
Despite anecdotal arguments against, the facts bear out the advantages.

I thought road disc was pointless too until I used it.

Far greater control from far greater modulation.
centralized weight
The only added weight are the rotors. The rest of the system is within grams of a high end caliper brake.
Benefits are huge in any kind of incliment weather
Racing benefits are also huge

Hydraulic systems are simple. One can argue this, but cable disc is widely available if one is uncomfortable with hydro.
MTB is really the pioneer in disc brakes, and these systems are, in fact, reliable.

The avg rider will not mess with cable brakes anyway, so either way, they will give it to a shop.
DIY riders will learn how to bleed hydro systems, and it's not hard to do, just different.

It's really too clear cut, and the industry is really pushing this from the bottom up and top down, so all the arguments are irrelevant.

Those that don't agree, can ride caliper systems for many many years. Both platforms will be around, nothing is disappearing any time soon.