View Single Post
Old 11-13-14, 12:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But disc brakes are far more elegant that rim brakes. They do not wear out a vital part of the bike, the rim.
Eye of the beholder. Personally, I find hub mounted discs to be rather ugly, clunky and poorly designed. The location of the calipers for both front and rear are just wrong. Some manufacturers have located the rear brake onto the chainstay which allows for easier rack and fender mounting on utility bikes but not all. And the fork mount location is simply wrong. Mounting it behind the left fork blade causes the wheel to want to eject from the fork tips. You have to have wheel retention to prevent wheel ejection. If the caliper were mounted on front of the fork blade, the physics are such that the wheel would be forced up into the tips rather then out of the fork. But that causes other problems with aerodynamics and aesthetics.

You are also taking a non-dished wheel and adding a significant amount of dish to it. You only have 100mm to work with on a front wheel.

An analogy he is like the multi function printer on my desk. It is a copier, printer and scanner. If the power supply doesnt work, I have 3 machines that dont work. Rim brakes too are multi function, it is a wheel and a brake.
...And, as many people have pointed out to you, the multifunctionality of a rim brake wheel isn't that big a deal.

If the wheel is broken again the whole bike is useless.
News flash: You can still break a disc wheel. Additionally, even with the braking track "broken", bikes usually have a second wheel that can do braking duty. It's not as big a deal as you make it out to be. I can think of about a dozen other things that can render a bike "useless" for which you don't have ready spares out in the field.

There is alway resistance to change. Click shifting, and clipless pedals being a couple. Now it is disc brakes. A good percentage of people alway resist change away from the familiar.
Some people do. Others resist change for the sake of change. Hub mounted disc brakes fall into the latter category.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!