View Single Post
Old 11-15-14, 07:19 AM
lotekmod

Bikes: '73 Flandria 3 speed, '84 Lotus Legend Compe, '87 Merckx Corsa Extra, '94 Kona Kilauea

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was definitely a rude response but I've found some people just don't communicate well electronically. I had a similar experience recently with a vintage mountain bike on eBay for local pick up only. The listing had a crappy photo and the description just said "Needs work." Well I knew it was a good bike but I couldn't tell from the photo if it would fit and I didn't want to get stuck with a vintage MTB that was too big, there's no market for them here. I asked him to take some measurements and got no response, and the listing ended with no bids. A month later it was relisted for $30 so I asked him again for a frame measurement and again got no response. I thought "what the heck, it's $30", put a maximum bid of $35, won the bike for $30 (only bidder), and then I wrote him asking when and where to pick up and if he wanted cash on pickup instead of Paypal. No response. Two days later I wrote again, no response. Five days after winning the auction I get a message that says "Pick up bike today, bring cash" and gives me an address in a sketchy part of town and no phone number. Well, I had been thinking about this bike for weeks so I went even though I had some serious reservations.

It turned out he was a pretty nice guy, even a bit chatty. He went to a lot of auctions and estate sales and knew a fair amount about vintage bikes and bought and sold quite a few every year. Really, REALLY bad communicator though.

Oh, and it is my size and is one heck of a vintage mountain bike for $30. Looked like death when I picked it up but it cleaned up very well and everything on it works!

Last edited by lotekmod; 11-15-14 at 07:33 AM.