Old 11-15-14, 11:34 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
^ thanks dX4-

Pic is from earlier this year. Since then have done a few tweaks and changes such as bar wrap and appropriate front and rear wingnuts. A big appreciation to a few fellow and terrific BF members in helping me out. I'm really getting into these older JC Higgins always learning. This one was quite a mechanical cobbled mess when found. And then when it was finally done and after 10 or so miles, all three shifting components went haywire and out of adjustment (3 speed IGH + 3 speed cog plunger derailleur + 2 speed chainring).. Sorted out its now been super reliable, will take it anywhere with complete confidence. Love this machine and its ridden like it should be including on dirt paths and gravel. Next season will try it on a club century (miles).

Normally not a fan of white rubber but somehow it worked out for this bike. Vintage NOS made in France Michelin 28" on Weinmann 'hookless bead', single wall six sided alloys. A concern for safety sake but I guess that's just part of the vintage experience. A blow out could be nasty, especially at speed. Have yet to do but now thinking of a little insurance and load them with Slime. Otherwise, quite impressed with the tires. The 5mm wide slight raised center make them fast rollers for the tarmac.

More of the Steyr built brand-
They must have made millions of bikes based on this frame design, lugs and tubing. Seem incredibly popular in Europe under the Steyr / Puch / Daimler 50'-60's. Even though many were circulating in Europe under the factory labels, I'm thinking it was the opposite for Sears import branded racers. I've only seen one other of the late 50's JC Higgins Clubman label and it was in a beautiful red. Now hunting that one down. Then of course the later gold color both in the early JC Higgins and then a few years later Ted Williams label having a tighter geometry. Those also have the Gran Sport shift group.