mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Proof of Concept: 1 x 9 Touring Bike

Hi Touristas,

If you caught the thread on REI's new "adventure" bike, there was a nice drawn-out discussion on the merits and demerits of a 1 x 9, 10, or 11 drivetrain on a touring bike. Since a triple ring is seen as standard for most touring bikes, even the idea is bound to spark a lot of strong rhetoric and condemnation.

So, I thought I'd try it out, and report back, and i'm really stoked.

1 x 9 Ice Biking on Mt. Greylock

I'll do a write-up on my drivetrain choices tomorrow if anyone's interested in the specs I'm running.

Two things:

Number one, I don't think it's useful to turn this thread into a "You can tour on anything" clone. I'd love to hear feedback but if it just turns into an argument between purists and peacemakers, it's not fun for anyone. I'm NOT saying that 1 x 9 is better than 3 x 9 or 2 x 9, just that it is an option and it doesn't automatically eliminate hill climbing on a touring bike for strong riders with light loads.

Number two, I did actually climb the entire mountain. I stood for some sections, but most of it was seated in the saddle. I just pedaled very slowly, with a lot of tension on the chain. I had about ten pounds on my back, so I was not fully loaded, but I might not be here typing if I tried to descend that peak with panniers. That test will come later.

Kelley climbed it too; her touring bike has a much more reasonable 22 tooth chainring on a triple.

The news is good, though! 1 x 9 is working so far! More thoughts to come.