View Single Post
Old 11-17-14, 10:40 AM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think your going to find that it will be great for some routes while being very sub-par on others. I pack reasonably light, 20 lbs and am relatively fit, but after 80 miles and 9000 feet of climbing a triple or wide compact double is the difference between having fun and struggling through with a 1x system to say I did it and prove the naysayers wrong.

Do what makes you happy, but I don't understand your motivation to run the single ring. I think they really only make sense in situations where chain retention is a problem, MTB and Cross bikes. Even on a cross/mtb, gearing is not optimal. Many of the Euro pros still run a double because of this.

There is virtually NO downside to running a front der on 90% of bikes with minor weight penalties being the only real disadvantage. If your dropping chains on your touring bike something is wrong. I ride (race) my cross bike through mud, sand, bumps, jumps, bunnyhops, etc....yes I drop my chain, but is the exception rather than the rule. I honestly don't think I have ever dropped my chain on my touring bike, at least not that I can remember...same goes for my road bike.

Also, it will severely compromise your bikes unloaded performance, especially if you plan on doing any group riding.

If I were you, I'd opt for a compact double w/med cage rear der and corresponding gearing, you'll have a more versatile setup and it will make riding more enjoyable if you happen to pack more than you thought or are having a bad day.