View Single Post
Old 11-17-14, 02:12 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
Temp can be a huge factor... you were cold apparently. What was your cadence? I get the impression that you were mashing a bit, " 'pop up over a rise in the big ring'. "

How's your fit? What other aches & pains?

I've done centuries where I spin it the first 50 and am very fresh for the last 50, fresh enough to easily extend another 20+.

Not enough base miles from what you describe. I ride 100-150 per week, which isn't a lot by many measures but, I divide that among 3-4 rides of 30-60 miles in length. My hill repeats ride is in the 50 mile mark for 6k feet.

Generally I can do a century once a week if I feel like it. On another note I understand that easy chairs and the like aren't the best thing for overall posture, that's what my doctor and a few PT types have mentioned.

So a few things... not dressed right, maybe mashing, and not enough consistent base miles. Personally I believe a great many folks overdo it with the electrolyte supplementation. I'm not sure but I understand that overhydration can flush the body of needed electrolytes. I find the key to hydration is always ensuring through the daily norms of life that you are always properly hydrated, without having to piss like a racehorse.

I ride with water and a variety of normal foods, kind bars, I love French apricots, pound cake.. ...I do carry endurolyte tabs in the heat, pretty innocuous for me. Other than that nothing fancy.
Some random responses.

1) Regarding cadence I naturally on flat ground gravitate to 80 to 90 rpm. I don't exactly have a good perspective regarding how I deal with small ups and downs. Until about 5 weeks ago I was running a 1996 Campy Chorus groupset on my same year Bianchi El-OS frame. Then I had my LBS install a 2014 Chorus groupset. On the old groupset my habits were to stay on the big chainring as much as possible as shifting small/large was most certainly doable but sometimes took two swipes, sometimes 3, etc. With the new groupset front ring shifting is SO EASY and predictable. So a month ago I was almost always out of the saddle and 'popping up' over small rises. With the new groupset I am much more inclined to switch to the small chainring and stay in the saddle. Regarding the ride on Sunday if I were to change anything I would have done LESS spinning in the small chainring as this seemed far less stressful (WRT the cramps) and out of the saddle/higher gears is closer to what most of my training was about. Long term - a different answer. BTW, the old group set was 53/39 front and 12/25 rear (8sp). The new set is 50/34 front and 11/27 rear (11sp).

2) I was not sure what you meant by "How is your fit". My late 90's Bianchi started out as a semi-custom build (and fit) by a LBS in the Bay Area, Ca. It was checked out by the NC LBS that installed the new groupset. I had pretty much ZERO aches and pains outside of the cramps. Given my somewhat limited saddle time (although I did install a racing saddle on my spinner bike it still isn't the same on as on my regular bike) even my butt was only whispering moderate complaints. I was expecting minor knee issues - NOTHING showed up. That was a pleasant surprise. The cramps - a different story.

3) I agree that my base mileage was marginal at best and (IMHO) is the #1 suspect regarding the issues I faced.

4) I would not say that I was cold. HOWEVER, I rode HARD the first 5 miles to warm up. From that point forward I was not uncomfortable but experienced ZERO sweat (not the same as not sweating) during the entire ride, even on the longer climbs (which were not that long). Had I to do it over again I would not have added a layer. I felt fine.

dave