Old 11-17-14, 03:04 PM
1991BRB1

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Del Rey, 1990 RB-1, 1995 (?) Coppi Reparto Corse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I've had flawless performance of Accushift 6 speed components (shifters and derailleur) with Shimano 6 speed freewheels. I have that combination running on two bikes. I have Accushift Shifters and derailleurs on an IRD 5 speed freewheel; again, it works flawlessly.
+1 to add that Accushift works and it's more versatile than what you sometimes hear.

I understand the initial rollout of the Accushift system was plagued by lack of consistency between freewheel teeth, chains, cables, etc. when shops or OEM Spec'-ers would not spec the recommended parts and attempted to swap or skimp on some components. These were the days before the idea of a complete component group really existed. Shimano SIS got a reputation for working better than Suntour Accushift but this was in part because they reinforced the uniformity of all components.

But I digress. I run 7 speed Accushift Plus in index mode and I like the very positive and satisfying "chunk" of the shifting mechanism. I don't have a NOS Suntour Superbe Accushift Chain (rare and dear if you do find one) but I've had tremendous success with a modern 8 or 9 speed chain. I actually think this makes a positive difference in the shifting performance. I also use Campagnolo "compressionless" cable. I use a Winner Pro/New Winner 7 speed freewheel and the 7 speed FW's are the only ones, I believe, that have varied spacing between the cogs ( 5 mm outer cogs and 4.8 mm inner cogs if memory serves). I think, and the quote above would affirm, that the Suntour 5 and 6 speed (non Ultra) spacing is the same as most other brands.

I've often wondered if it would be worthwhile to "fake" a Suntour 7 speed cassette using Hyperglide cogs and swapping in spacers to obtain the Suntour setup.

I would recommend downloading the Suntour Accushift Technical Bulletin 21. It's available in .pdf form on one or more Suntour enthusiast sites. Good insight about what works and how to set up the system, as issued to bike shops.

Last edited by 1991BRB1; 11-17-14 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Additional insights