Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,953 Times in 1,393 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
That is an encouraging comment if only for the fact that it implies that (at least in your more informed than my) opinion, that kind of mileage can be enough (over enough time, anyway).

FWIW, I did a fair amount of 'hard work' but only for a few months. My 'favorite' was 10x2min of 'simulated hard climbing' with 1 min rest as that was/is very similar to how this route rides. But like I said only a few months.

dave
Longer efforts, too. If you have the available vertical, 2 X 20' LT climbing intervals are a good start. If you don't, do 3 X 15' at LT on the flat. If you don't have the room, trainer or rollers with resistance work very well for this. Once you are going good on the LT stuff, then do harder, shorter efforts. And yes, everything gets better with time and consistent training. Yes, going hard at the start is recoverable, but it does put a dent in your resources. I've done rides where a 15' LT climb starts after the first mile. My definition of being in form is having the ability to recover.