View Single Post
Old 11-18-14, 11:14 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I think it's pretty much settled, but yeah, that's what I'd bet on, too.
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Undertrained/overworked. Simple. There is no proven connection between cramping and either hydration or electrolytes in spite of considerable anecdotal testimony. However there is a well known and well proven connection between cramping and working at over your training level.

SNIP.
That remains my best guess as well. Additionally I TRULY HOPE that is the issue. I know how to address this one.

OTOH, there are two wildcards out there

1) On at least a half dozen occasions I have been sitting in my easy chair and and experienced a sudden onset of a serious cramp on the inside of my left thigh (one of the places that was an issue on my ride). At a bare minimum this was at least 4 hours after my last exercise. More likely 6, 8 or the previous day. This shows up in a VERY specific/small place and it is/was the same/exact place as the first onset of cramps on Sunday. Interestingly now that I am almost 48 hours past the end of the ride, that same place is still sore. It isn't exactly a muscle soreness like after excessive exercise, but more like somebody hit it with a hammer really hard yesterday (feels like a bruise). But keep in mind this wasn't the only cramp location, OTOH it was definitely first.

2) I have a well established history of pushing my legs past their capabilities. I have run for 3'ish hours on a hot day, went past the 10 mile marker at 59:50 (it was at Boston and that was the first marker that I saw - I was horrified and slowed down instantly), I took in ZERO water or anything else (I could never drink when I was running) for the entire race, and was doing 9:30 minute miles at the end. I felt like crap, my legs didn't work, but I had NO CRAMPS. OTOH, I didn't have any cramps after 3 hours on Sunday either. BTW, this was the year of Rosie Ruiz and she didn't pass me

I hope that this is simply a conditioning thing. I worry that either something else is going or that it is an age thing.

dave