Old 11-18-14, 04:37 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
2. Frame bags keep everything organized and ready for quick access. If I had to guess, I would say a minimalist and a maximalist could easily both have between 30 and 40 individual items. Look at bmike's list. We might reduce the weight of our clothes, shelter, and insulation, but even militant minimalists still have toothbrushes, gloves, lights, matches, tools, gadgets, widgets, gizmos, doodads, etc. Having so many smaller frame bags makes organizing this stuff easier, which eans less time packing and unpacking, which means more time riding.
Bikepacking's large number of bags....and often using a backpack.... are a negative for me. I like having just 2 bags. If I leave my bike I can quickly and easily take the Ortlieb handlebar bag with me and I think the Carradice saddlebag gives better organization. Two outside pockets are good for quick access to tools etc and the flap and large opening of the main compartment make it easier to get at stuff than a bikepacking type of saddlebag. When I'm traveling on planes or trains having two easily carried bags is very convenient too.