Old 11-22-14, 06:36 AM
gizmocat
MamaWheelie

Bikes: a 1974 Raleigh Twenty and a 2005 Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all, I am a new member here. I am riding a 2005 Trek 7200 step through that has been upgraded...I replaced the original 7 speed twist gears with a 21 speed Shimano gearset, added fenders, better tires (Michelins, the best tire I've ever had), new saddle, new pedals...and the bike has performed well. The fork and saddle have shock absorbers so it is a very comfortable ride with the new saddle. There are a few minor problems--a heavy front wheel, terrible kickstand design, but it works well for me. I use it for touring at a fairly slow speed and for shopping. (no racing.)
The bike has been tuned up every year and the mechanic says that it is a good one. How long can I expect this moderately priced bicycle to last without needing major repairs?
The reason that I ask is that I have an opportunity to upgrade (if that is the correct term) to a Pashley, which has some features that I like (enclosed chain, dynamo lights) and while I might keep both bikes, it wouldn't make much sense to do so. I was going to be a good person and not consider the Pashley (which is really an amazing buy) but wonder if I'm due to replace the Trek anyway? Thank you for any advice you can give on this subject.