Old 11-23-14, 10:59 AM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The hardest thing about being old and healthy is dealing with the questionnaire. Doctors give you that hard stare when you say NO to every question.

Any operations -- Never
Ever been diagnosed for..... No, no, no, no....... no.
What prescriptions -- None
Allergies - none
Special diet - No
Do anything special for your health - not really I ride a bicycle.

I'm so used to just going down the lists checking No in very box, that I was once tripped up by a "trick" form which needed a yes in one box if you were healthy. The Doc wanted to discus that, and seemed somewhat disappointed when I corrected the form.
Being over 50, and being able to answer "no" to all the standard questions, does seem to bother them, for some bizarre reason. Am I right? Today, in America, it is almost as though
it is expected that if you are over 50, you are supposed to have high BP, cholesterol problems, weight issues, heart issues, or something else. Saying you are a cyclist seems to result in dumbfounded stares. Finding a primary care doc, who is a cyclist, is a good thing, if you can manage it. Oh, has anyone run into this one: Saying you "ride a bike", and immediately being asked "Oh, what kind of bike? A Harley, a Honda, Kawasaki,,?" And you tell them "a bicycle", and the result is... dumbfounded stares. I ask this, because it happened to a co-worker, about a year ago. This, in Boston, which is supposed to be a medical mecca. ( Debatable )

Having said all that, yes, it is a crap shoot. Some of us are dealt a good hand from the genetic deck of cards, some not.