View Single Post
Old 11-24-14, 10:11 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by I D K
in pursuit of a good all-around bike i picked up a schwinn crisscross (double butted cromo, lugged, rack mounts, 2 x bottle cage mounts, canti brakes). since i am converting to drop bars i am stumped as to what is the best path for sti/brifters. the bike currently has a 7 speed freewheel but i plan on replacing the wheels at some point.

so my question is: if i plan on replacing the wheels anyway should i just upgrade to 8+ cassette in the rear? if i can find a wheelset that offers 7 speed cassette then i can cheap out and get some older brifters.

i feel that 7 is enough since it has a triple up front but i worry that if i build an 8+ speed wheelset with a 7 speed cassette and spacer that the gears will be 8+ travel distance apart and the 7 speed brifters will no longer work.

its more money upfront but should i just go 8+ in the rear and get a modern wheelset since i need to purchase the brifters anyhow? ill have to get a new RD and spread the rear triangle if i go 8+ also.

thoughts, experience, insights; all appreciated.
8 speed and 7 speed SHimano spacing is almost the same. If set up well, they are effectively cross-compatible.

But, Instead of getting a new wheel and having to stretch out your frame, I would install a Sora 7-speed right hand shifter. 7 cogs are enough. Leave the left-hand a downtube shifter. 90+% of your shifting is on the right. Replace the freewheel with a modern HG37 or the like, a new IG51 chain and replace the cables and housings. The shifter is around $40 on Ebay, freewheel and chain about $15 each and new shifter cables and housing (buy cut lengths - not a kit) will be around $10.

This will shift like butta, and cost you less than $100 for brand new parts.