View Single Post
Old 11-25-14, 11:04 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
I learned that it was more energy efficient to rock your bike when riding out of the saddle as opposed to rocking your torso and keeping your bike straight, which is why I opt for the former.
Rocking big time accomplishes two other things. More power max, especially in high gears and much kinder to the knees when in those high gears.

I know, everyone says shift to a lower gear. But some of us find riding fix gear can be at times a near spiritual experience. And we learn to ride accordingly. (And if you think about it, folks were doing the fix gear dance for 40 years before the derailleur was invented. It is all quite doable.) Since I do a large percentage of my miles on my winter fixie with often rather heavy loads, a set-up where the dance can be done is essential. Low Riders allow the dance with any weight. And if it is less efficient? So what? I got up the hill and still have knees.

Ben