Old 11-25-14, 03:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Weight balanced side to side on the front, the rear can be less equal side to side

dense heavy in the front .. bulky but less dense on the rear .. tent, sleeping bag pad, clothes .
Another second. Get the Jandd "low rider" rack. (They are considerably more sturdy than the Blackburns.) The small front Ortliebs are excellent. Handlebar bags, if you must have them should be no more than a map and energy bar holder. That is the single worst place to place weight on a bike. (The low riders are the best.)

I used to start loading my bike for a tour putting canned goods and the like in the front panniers. Then food, stove, bottles. All fabric items except perhaps my most likely to be used jackets went in back. Those jackets or whatever were used to silence the front bags until I needed to wear them and they were easy to reach just stopping. (I still do this every week grocery shopping. Farmer's market, the greens go in back.)

Consider putting a third WB cage under the downtube. You won't be able to get it riding, but it simplifies enough water for hot days and makes a great place to store fuel bottles. You can't ask for a better place to hang weight. (Warning, you might not want to take it off when you get home; it is so useful! Every custom I have made gets a set of bosses there.)

Ben