View Single Post
Old 11-26-14, 01:41 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by nymtber
I have Mavic Aksion tires...
Nice to see some love the Mavics; I had Yksion Comps that came with my Ksyrium wheel set, and thought they were excellent high performance tires. When the rear wore flat in the center after a good season of hard riding-- totally acceptable wear in my book for the performance-- I picked up an Yksion Pro Powerlink on sale and it was awesome, too. Way underrated tires, IMO. Those were all 23c, btw.

The only 25s I've ridden have been Michelin Pro 3 Optimums, and as mentioned above, they were quite plump on ~15mm inner width rims. I didn't like the way the bulging negatively impacted handling and feel, however, so they really only did duty on my winter/spring bike, when a little extra cushion was appreciated as insurance against road hazards.

Otherwise, at 220lbs, I ride 23c on wide rims, and love it. My Schwalbe One tubeless measure out at more than 25mm on 19.4 bsw rims, for example, and the ride and handling is sublime. I'm tempted to go at them again next season, but I'm really curious about Maxxis Radiale and Padrone models, and even IRC Formulas, so we'll see. But that's all OT. Sorry.