View Single Post
Old 11-27-14, 09:47 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
***ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT***

It has been over 3yrs since I began this thread and am now going to give clipless a try this coming spring. Pedals are picked out but not as sure on the shoes quite yet.

My question is how do you order shoes online? Or is this easier done in a bike shop? I'm thinking the higher local pricing may be well worth the tag for this item.

What did you do?
okay Mr. Zombie...here's my re-entry rider newbie .02 on the topic...

I had never tried "clipless" until a couple months ago...as I reserved what turned out to be claimed by some as an unwarranted fear regarding the safety of such and was schooled by those who do and know that as long as things fit up and are properly adjusted?...with just a few practice sessions clipping in and out can be done as readily and proficiently as though you weren't clipped in at all...in an ingrained muscle memory sort of way and now that I have experienced such?...I tend to agree...not saying they're completely idiot proof as I have a tendency to dumby up in my older years but so far?...so good..and I now love the clipless system for the following reasons....

1. An extremely consistent foot position, (duh)

2. Which never emits that horrid squeaking sound a nike makes when it's rubbing on the crank arm because your foot got too close.

3. "The Superior Balance & Elevated Level Of Pedal Power" one experiences from an elevated level of leg energy going directly into the crank even on the upstroke leg.

That said?...I still had my "Beginner Doubts" so along with my $100 Specialized Body Geometry RBX Road Cleats?...I opted to go with "Dual-Interface Pedals" (just in case)...and love having the option of going clipless/cleats or platform/nikes...with exustar dual-interface pedals...

and loved them so much I even put the exustar dual-interface pedals on my Hybrid as well as my RB...so now my two top go-too bikes can be ridden either way.

That said?...no...don't order your cleated shoes off the net...the sales guy at my LBS liked to go by the euro sizes (claiming them to be a more accurate fit measurement)...and then wound up telling me about his goldylocks fitting procedure...where at the end of it all?...there were 3 pairs tried on....one pair on the small end of the sizing spectrum...one on the large and one in the middle and then pick the best fit "tight too my foot"....because a fit that's even a little loose?...will cost you both pedal energy and blisters...you don't want them moving or rocking at all when on your foot under pedal pressure yet at the same time?...not so tight as to decrease blood flow or cause discomfort.

So my recommendation?...donate the few extra bucks to your LBS and buy'em tight and get'im right the first time...and what you spend in higher retail?...might just save you some aggravating and excessive costs of applying return labels for cleats that don't fit "just right".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
clipless1.jpg (52.5 KB, 13 views)
clipless2.jpg (63.5 KB, 13 views)
clipless3.jpg (45.4 KB, 13 views)
clipless4.jpg (47.9 KB, 12 views)