View Single Post
Old 12-02-14, 10:28 AM
Fullcount
Interested Backpacker

Bikes: 88 Peugot US Express, 2019 Bachetta Bella, 2023 Catrike Dumont, 2001 Trek 520 Slate Pearl, MayaCycle Trailer, 2104 Trek Domane, Sun EZ Sport Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thebulls
Lots of good advice so far in this thread. The only thing I would add: Tire choice. Riding on tires that are optimized for low rolling resistance (at a little sacrifice of flat resistance) can make a big difference to how enjoyable the ride is over the long distances. There are nice tires in both 700cx32 and in 26", sold by Compass Bicycles: Compass Bicycles: Tires

Which bike to put them on? From my perspective, you have two essentially identical bikes. Both are touring frames, so they are somewhat overbuilt for randonneuring, where the load you are carrying is typically lighter. That said, either should be fine, lots of people ride touring bikes on rando events. Personally, I think I would go with the bike that can handle 26" tires since then you can put on higher volume tires that will absorb a little more road shock and leave you less beat-up at the end of the ride.

Build up to the long distance over the winter, there should be plenty of weekends when you can ride. The trainer will still come in handy for weeknights and for bad-weather weekends. The main thing that going for progressively longer rides will do for you is help to identify fit problems. What is endurable on a 100km starts to be painful on a 100-miler. What's endurable on a 100-miler starts to be painful on a 200km. Etc. Deal with the fit issues early on and your first 200km will be a lot more pleasant.

Nick

Nick
Thanks Nick, I agree, road time is priceless, especially for a goal like this. Problem I have is time, so I will maximize the options and stress the road time.

The Surly has the 26" tires and disc brakes, but the older 520 rides nicer. Both have Brooks saddles and saddle soreness has never been an issue for me. Normally, it is the eating proper issue and hip flexor lock up. That is the reasoning for the trainer to see if I can strengthen this area. I also have post ride foot cramps also, but I think this goes back to nutritional program once again.

Thanks for for all the help from everyone.