View Single Post
Old 12-02-14, 03:39 PM
adablduya

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
No, no technology is 100% reliable... but then neither are humans. Humans get raged, distracted and sleepy behind the wheel... Just to name a few flaws.

Sure I'd say this right to your face. I have no problem with my statements. You may be the last holdout for a self driving car. But I suspect that if it is shown that said vehicles save lots of lives (by preventing the current 30,000 or more deaths that humans cause while driving), then I suspect they will become mandatory, just like seat belts and airbags.

And if all you know about them is that "GPS isn't good enough..." you need to do a lot more homework. Just go to the video I posted above... those decisions that are shown being made with regard to things like bikes on the road, trucks parked on the side... have very little to do with GPS.

ok, we agree that neither technology nor human reactions are 100% reliable. good enough.

my whole point was that IN MY OPINION, there are far too many flaws with technology for me to feel even remotely confident in trusting it to manage my safety in a moving vehicle; certainly not more than my own confidence in myself to do so. for example, notice how often we hear about vehicle recalls these days for malfunctioning devices (i.e., ignition switches, air bags, accelerator pedals that purportedly get stuck ) ? hard for me to put my faith in the Utopian vision of automated transportation.

finally, to suggest that i might be the last holdout for a self-driving car is ridiculous. you really believe that the rest of society fully embraces the driverless-car idea, that i'm a lone rebel ?

Last edited by adablduya; 12-02-14 at 03:44 PM.