FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
FSA / Shimano compatibility?

Just in case I do have to replace my BB, I think I currently have an FSA Mega Exo (or something like that - the cranks are definitely FSA and the BB spindle is definitely hollow).

The crank arms are currently 170mm, but I scored a crank today called a Shimano Alivio with 175mm arms. Since I got it for $5, I can't complain...

So now for the questions:

1. Can I simply replace the FSA crank with the Alivio, or will I need to change the BB also?
2. If I do need to replace the BB, how do I ensure that the replacement is the same axle width as the original?
3. Since the FSA was intended to be a single-speed, and the Alivio was (I think) intended to be a triple, what will this do to my chain line?
4. If I do need to replace the BB, what's the least-expensive, most-durable, sealed-bearing one I should consider? (weight does NOT matter to me)
5. Are the chain rings of the FSA the same BCD as the Alivio (the latter, I'm pretty sure, is 104mm)?
6. So far as I know, I DO need a single-speed chainwheel and it should be ⅛ inch width?
7. Is the Shimano BB called an "octalink?"

Pardon my ignorance...