Old 12-03-14, 09:36 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@hamster and @Rick@OCRR

Regarding the DOW, I am starting at 4:30am. There will be around 10 of us from the Ventura-Valley Adobo Velo chapter. There is also a 3:30am start time, so you could start as early as 3:30am.

There is a chance the route will be changed because of the PCH closure (mudslide). However if the route remains intact, the first rest stop will not open until 6:30am. I believe it is at the 35 mile mark. The rest stops/check points seem to be open at hours that make the most sense for a 4:30am start time.

If the route is changed (which they will try not to do, and I just saw on the news that CalTrans thinks the PCH might be open again tomorrow), it will go up and over the Santa Monica Mountains at the beginning and end, but skip Casitas Pass and I think Grimes Cyn (not sure about Grimes). The morning would route us up Latigo Canyon and in the evening we'd be taking Cornell to the Rock Store climb and descending Kanan Dume road. That's a lot of descending in the dark with road debris. By my calculation, the plan B substitute route is around 11,000 ft climbing.

This will be my first double century, so I'm sure you guys will blow past me.