Old 12-05-14, 07:10 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
However, the ability to receive a text while driving can eliminate a lot of useless driving. For example, I had a date cancel on me just over an hour ahead, when she was an hour and a half from home. Had I not checked that text, I would have driven two hours (there and back) for nothing, being another car on the road, which we keep saying we want to reduce. Had the same thing happen a lot when I was doing service calls in Dallas; I would get a message, check it at the next red light, and head to a different location or back to the office. Probably saved me 30-40 miles a week in already heavy traffic.
The ability to make last minute schedule changes via cell phone has in large part contributed to the need for it. Why plan ahead properly when you don’t have to? Just text, text, text! Yay!

How did you all manage in the pre-cell phone days? How do I STILL manage without a cell phone?

Even though I've never had one, I do see some value in the things. But to be so reliant on it that one can't even handle an activity as dangerous as driving without playing with the blasted thing is very sad indeed.