View Single Post
Old 12-06-14, 11:29 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by asmac

We have to distinguish between a cash grab and legitimate enforcement/education. Based on what I see every day, there is much more of the former.
Uh, sure. Where I live most motorists are convinced that the small towns along Hwy 99W have their cops lurking all night just to perform a cash grab, since where's the big public risk at 3:00 AM? I had a temporary gig once where I drove tanker trucks along there at night. As a responsible driver, I never had to worry about getting a ticket. However, one night about 3:00 AM I was quite pleased that I was travelling well below the posted speed limit when several drunk young people literally fell out into the road. I was able to watch the whole thing unfold without putting their lives at risk. Had I been driving like most people, 5-10 mph over the posted limit, there would have been three dead people.

Traffic law enforcement is legit. If you get a citation, you were breaking the law and it is whiny to complain about paying this completely voluntary "tax".