Old 12-08-14, 07:30 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Most Japanese bikes from the 1970s were lower end. There are exceptions of course. Myata made a full product line, including a lot of low end stuff. The earlier the bike, the more likely it is going to be low end. Stem shifters are a clue.

If you want a touring bike, you need to raise your budget and focus on the myriad of nice touring bikes, from Japan and elsewhere, most of which were made in the 1980s. Pretty easy to spot cantilever brakes, triple crankset, often bar end shifters, braze ons for racks and fenders, long cage RD, etc.

Lots of knowledgeable buyers in Charlotte. The fact it has been for sale for 11 days is a C L U E.

The specifications for most bikes changed dramatically throughout the 1980s, usually for the better.
Thanks much for the tips. I am not hampered by budget so much as lack of knowledge of which specific models are touring rather than sport/road bikes. I did a search for touring bikes ('touring' in title) but did not find any posted for sale 11 days ago. Can you give me a bigger hint, such as a brand or model?