Old 12-08-14, 09:36 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
The Novara Safari is a capable touring bike. What are you looking for that that bike does not fulfill? Also you have two coveted Bridgestone speed machines!

I'd recommend going to see @wrk101 for a bike. If he's too far away, post your height here and maybe we can help scout a frame that fits, because that comes first. The Miyata above is for a rider about 5'10-6'1".
The Safari just seems a bit overbuilt if I am going to stay on paved roads. While riding the Natchez Trace in November, I could not keep up with my companion Pierre, who rode a Miyata. Whether that was because of the difference in bike + gear weight, our 31 year age difference or a combination of both and my lack of proper conditioning, who can say? Actually, the Safari is quite comfortable. I put Avid BB7's on it, Planet Bike fenders and a sturdy front rack to go with the rear rack it came with, and I have a Shimano 12-36 cassette waiting for installation to replace the 11-32, to be ready for those really steep hills. I have in mind an off pavement adventure out west for the Safari. In the meantime, I was looking for a paved road touring bike that is somewhat lighter. I have arrived at the vintage touring bike solution a bit late, and a blurry photo on CL kept me from counting the chain rings on the listing.

I am in the height range for the 25 inch frame listed, which is why I was looking at it.

And yes, I could do light/credit card touring on one of my Bridgestone bikes, even get an ExtraWheel trailer to limit the weight load added to the bike's rear wheel, but would it really be comfortable? If I could find a touring bike it would be better, I think. And some people might have bikes they don't really know about, such as the folks who listed the Miyata above. They truly don't know what model they have. Too bad it's not what I need.