socalpedalpushr
socalpedalpusher

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis & A. Homer Hilsen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
My wife and I have toured in the Puget Sound area several times, and have enjoyed all the trips. It is such a neat place we introduced our daughters to bike touring in that area. It is hard to go wrong.

There is a camp ground within a short ride of Victoria. It makes bike management and security easier when you go into the city without all the gear.

Depending on how much time you have, you might also want to explore the San Juan Islands and the Canadian Gulf Islands. If you are driving, the ferry terminal at Anacortes, WA is a secure area to leave your car. There is also a motel there that allows car parking if you stay there. The ferry will take you to Sidney, but you can get off in the San Juans and explore. If you are interested, my wife can dig through the Journals, and we can come up with the names, and locations of campgrounds that we used. That would be greatly appreciated.

One book that we have: Bicycling Southwest British Columbia and the Sunshine Coast by Simon Priest seems to have a lot of detail. Actually, we've never used it; it is really easy to navigate and get around all the Islands with just paper maps. If you have a smart phone or GPS you don't need much more info. I'll have a look into his book. As I replied to Machka I'd sort of hoped for some off the beaten path sort of tour dirt roads and semi remote camping but that seems like it could be difficult.

If you travel by train, you can easily get to Vancouver, BC. From there you can make a great loop up the Sunshine Coast, Ferry to Vancouver Island at Powell River, and ride down the Island. Take the Ferry from Sidney back to Anacortes, and ride the short way, 15 miles, to Mt. Vernon Amtrak station.
My buddy and I plan on using Amtrak to get to Anacortes then the ferry to the San Juans. This map seems to be a decent idea.

Map

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Cheers,

~Hugh
Los Angeles, CA