joewein

Bikes: Elephant Bikes National Forest Explorer, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 82 Posts
Report originally written on Nov 4:

====

This year's Half-Fast Nichitsu loop was a very successful ride. We had 19 people showing up despite the early starting time.

Quite a few more had expressed interest but cancelled. Three more were inspired to ride the loop separately (and counter clockwise, which I've never done), including Tom who did an amazing 240 km "no train ride" loop that day and took great pictures. Kudos to the Iron Man from Belgium,

After a week of nervous glances at weather forecasts, it finally looked promising enough to go ahead with the second annual Half-Fast Nichitsu autumn leaves ride on Sunday. I was not disappointed when I got up in the morning and took a look outside. It had cleared up much. I left home at 05:30 to allow plenty of time for making connections and for buying a Red Arrow ticket at Ikebukuro, a station I don't use much these days. I ended up with a very generous 35 minutes there to do all the necessary, but better safe than sorry. It would not be cool to announce a ride and then not be there...

It was a very early start for most of us and we probably could have had even more participants with a later train. A couple of us met at the platform or chatted on the train.

At Seibuchichibu we set up the bikes, then moved on to a nearby Sunkus conbini, that sadly had already sold out of bananas and didn't have a great choice on other food. The Chichibu area is popular for hiking and for pilgrimages to the numerous temples. We started off about 25 minutes behind scheduled after waiting for one late arrival (missed train).

The sky was mostly blue when we started. Later it became more overcast, but we never had to worry about rain.

I had brought lots of clothes for the descent from the upper tunnel, but it turned out to be the warmest of 5 Nichitsu rides so far. Partly this was for the earlier starting time, which allowed us to reach the highest summit around 13:00. On all my previous rides I had cycled from Tokyo and took the train back afterwards, while this time I did it the other way round. I still needed my warmer clothes when descending from Yamabushi Toge after dark.

Though I had suggested riding as an A and B group, we rode as one group with occasional regroups until the dam at what I considered a fairly high pace. Then some people slowed down, unable to keep up with the A team. Also people started to take pictures around the lake, which offered more scenic views.

Tony and Simon:

Duelling cameras with Ira:

I was by myself while climbing along the river towards the tunnels and felt free to take more pictures. I didn't see any more of the group until I met Sal, who had been waiting for me before the tunnel at the top to make sure I was all right.

(continued)