Old 12-15-14, 02:00 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I love, love, love my GB Aravis (Ti-framed touring version, about the same width as a Team Pro). It took about 500 or so miles to break in, but it was good (not great, but certainly good) from the start. The leather thickness measured with calipers is 1mm thicker than my 11-year old Ti-framed B-17 Champion Special (claimed to be Team Pro grade and thick leather back then, which seems to be true compared to my very old Pro). Also notable is that the GB doesn't require as much nose-up tilt for me, with all the fit touch points essentially the same. The B-17 was slotted and reinforced by Selle An-Atomica when they started doing that about 8-years ago to avoid perineal numbness, but that's never been needed with the GB Aravis. I would buy another GB in an instant despite the price difference, as long as the bike/seatpost could work with the short rail length (just like a Brooks). Heck, don't know that I'd buy a bike that could not be used with this saddle.

Here's the Aravis new, and a year (2700 miles) later:

I had first hoped to use a Brooks Swift on this Marinoni, but several 30-40 mile rides after plenty of adjustment tweaks said that wasn't going to work out. I then tried a Fizik Aliante VS, which is nice, but not a long ride saddle for me.

One of my notes says of the Aravis, "This is what a Team Pro should be." (I tend to sit on the rivets of a Pro.)