Old 12-15-14, 08:18 PM
SGMongoose

Bikes: Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
The belt drives on my Harleys have all lasted the life of the motorcycle, including one that was ridden nearly 96K miles before I sold it. Adjustment is a one time deal whenever a tire is replaced, and it is not rocket science to adjust the tension properly.
I agree. even when i check the tension on my Harley's belt at during each service the tensions never been out of spec. Chain drive motorcycles need to have the chains replaced at least 3 times before a belt drive.

just to give another perspective of a belts strength.. this past feb/mar i was getting ready for trailer week in Daytona. I needed my motorcycle trailer (dual-axle enclosed) but even after digging it out it was frozen solid to the ground (i park it in my backyard). Axles frozen, Jack frozen, jack stands frozen, coupler frozen. I snapped two tow straps (6k and 8k rated) trying to pull it out with my Jeep. Those were the only two straps we had, but we had two old timing belts, one of which was frayed, both of which have been sitting out in the sun for years. looped the belts from the jeep to the trailer and freed on the first pull.