I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Pukeskywalker
What's going on (the anti-car thing) is great, but a lot of it is just a status game. Who is green-er, who is more DIY, who is more "simple living" -- meanwhile everyone is going out to $50 plate dinners and wearing $50 vintage t-shirts -- quitting their jobs to travel for a year. All of which I can get behind and think are much more enjoyable luxuries than buying an expensive car - but there is some hypocrisy to the anti-car thing there. It's not really about being green, it's about looking green
[SKIP]
Anyways, I know people ages 24-35 in the city, the burbs, and the country that have low interest in automobiles as status symbols. An old beater volvo or other vintage car has some appeal for weekend or minimal driving, and a small hatchback is seen as the practical choice. As long as the car isn't particularly out of fashion or low-status (PT Cruiser, Scion) people are indifferent
To be "real with you":
The anti-car chest pumping smugness which you discuss sounds quite a bit like the anti-TV hypocrisy sometimes seen on this list.

The idea that people buy and own motor vehicles only/principally for the purpose of status rather than for any practical, convenience or utilitarian purpose is a silly-willy construct often found posted on this list. Some people may like more luxury and extra features with their ride and some may even believe that by buying certain marques they will get more of it. But no one should fool themselves into seriously believing that many people buy/own/use a motor vehicle only to show off their ability to spend money.

It should also be noted that practical, convenience and utilitarian purposes is defined by the people buying and using their motor vehicles, not as defined by smug ideologues who share few if any cultural similarities, and also show no capacity for empathy for those who don't share their own profile.

Buying/owning/driving a beater Volvo, or a small hatchback and/or being indifferent to brand of car owned is no more "anti-car" than buying/owning/driving a monster pickup, nice car or a Scion. It only represents a preference for a different version of personally owned motorized transportation.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-16-14 at 10:26 AM.