Old 12-16-14, 12:48 PM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's a cool idea for someone who has an old frame they absolutely love. I haven't yet found one so I don't really have a need. If I do find a frame like that, I'd probably just figure out a way to make my own. I'm thinking a 6 speed UG hub with a shortened axle and an off center rim if needed. You could take a SRAM 8 speed cassette, file the large splines, and use like 6 of 8. A bottom bracket lock ring screws right on the freehub body so you don't have to use a threaded cog. With this setup, you could use 8 speed indexed shifters also, leaving a couple clicks unused.

I don't have a problem with the price, it's a niche product that nobody else wanted to develop. Would I pay that price? Personally, I wouldn't, but I like figuring out solutions to problems like this. Call me crazy or cheap if you want to .